Zhao Xue: I want my husband was not a chess player
Tuesday, 04 May 2010
- How many times have you been to Russia?
- I can’t say for sure because I have been to Russia more than ten times.
- How old were you when you started learning to play chess?
- I was eight and a half. Actually it’s a very late start. The whole thing is that chess isn’t so popular in my hometown.
- Where do you live now?
- I have lived in Beijing for more than 10 years now. I have a coach. We’ve been working together since 2003.
- Why did you move to live there?
- We’ve got a peculiar system in China. The only place where you can study chess on a professional basis is Beijing. It has a special chess centre, so, for the most part, our national players live there. Sometimes I go to study in that centre as well.
- Do you actually live in that centre?
- Well, at the moment, I’m studying at the university, which is the
oldest one in China, so I live in a dorm.
- What is your specialty?
- Politics and, specifically, governmental management.
- Are you planning to be a politician?
- No, politics is not the only subject we study there. We’ve got many
more: economy, sociology, history and law. I became a student to learn
more about life which, I’m sure, will help me play chess better.
do you suppose you will do when you’re through with chess? Pia Cramling,
for example, has said that she will keep playing for all life.
- Well, you know, she’s been one of the world’s best players for many
years now. She won the European championship and is still keeping on
with her chess career. I think I wouldn’t be able to do that.
- But you today’s game was brilliant.
It is OK. But it’s not that my play was brilliant, it’s that my
opponent’s one was not very good. She made a serious mistake, and I won
- Do you travel alone?
- Mostly, yes. Sometimes my coach accompanies me, sometimes he doesn’t.
It is not a big problem for me, because I am not a little girl, I feel
quite comfortable by myself.
- How do you prepare for a game?
- I always get in touch with my coach through the Internet, and he
always gives me some advice. I don’t feel quite good over here.
Sometimes my play does not look like mine, and I can’t focus.
- What does your usual day look like when you are at home?
- I have little free time because usually I am very busy. I must study
hard now – examinations are coming soon. So, when I go back home, I must
catch up with the other students.
- What kind of music do you like?
- I like popular music. I listen to western music, because it helps me
to learn English.
- What was the last movie you saw?
- I can’t remember that now, but I love American serials like “24
hours”, “Vampire’s diary”. And my favorite movie is “Beautiful life”.
It’s a Polish film about the World War II. I like historical movies.
- Do you go in for sports?
- Yes, I like badminton. I think I’m the best badminton player in our
chess team. I also love playing table tennis but I’m a lot better at
- Do you have a driving license?
- No, I don’t, but I want to learn to drive.
- And what
- Bicycles are very popular in China, especially among students. Our
university is very big, so we move around the campus on bicycles.
- Do you like Russian food?
- Yes, I do. As a child, I used to love meat, fish and yoghurts. Russian
yoghurt is better than Chinese.
- Can you cook?
- I can cook Chinese noodles.
- Are you thinking about a family?
- Of course, I am. Sometimes chess players feel very lonely. I want to
have my own family, but it is not so easy to do. It depends upon a lot
- Will your future husband be from the chess community?
- I think, no. I am a chess player myself, and I don’t want my husband
to belong to this community. I want us to be different, so we could
learn new things from one another.